How To Start Your Ag Teaching Career  
Option 1: Obtain a Teacher Certificate Through the Traditional Route      
There are four requirements to obtain a teacher certificate through the traditional route.

1.) Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree that Includes an Educator Preparation Program
You must obtain a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. To teach agriculture this should be a degree that combines agriculture content and philosophies and methods of teaching. There are 11 universities in Texas that offer an “Agricultural Education” degree however none of these degrees are called “Agricultural Education.” Here is a list of these universities and the official name of their “Agricultural Education” degree.

  Angelo State University
Agricultural Science and Leadership
with Professional Education Minor
  Sull Ross University
Animal Science 
with Agricultural Education option
  Texas A&M University- Kingsville
Agricultural Science
  Sam Houston State University
Interdisciplinary Agriculture
Animal Science
Agricultural Business
Agricultural Engineering Technology
Plant & Soil Sciences
all with Agricultural Education options
    Tarleton State University
Agricultural and Consumer Science (Teacher Certification)
  Texas State University
(Teacher Certification)
  Texas A&M University
Agricultural Science
  Texas Tech University
Interdisciplinary Agriculture 
(Teacher Certification)

  Stephen F. Austin State University
Agricultural Development Agricultural Engineering Technology
with Teacher Certification
  Texas A&M University- Commerce
Agricultural Science and Technology
(Teacher Certification)
  West Texas A&M University
Agricultural Science
(Teacher Certification)

2.) Pass Certification Exams 
The current certification testing requirements for agriculture teacher certification are:
a. TExES Pedegogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR)
b. TExES Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources 6-12 Exam

3.) Submit a State Application 
You must apply to be certified after all requirements are met.

4.) Complete Fingerprinting
All first-time applicants must be fingerprinted as part of a national criminal background check.

Option 2: Alternative Certification Route      
Alternative certification programs (ACP’s) offer a nontraditional route to certification that may allow you to teach while completing the requirements. Typically these programs are used by people who have already earned a bachelor’s degree in an area of agriculture but have not received training or instruction in teaching. These programs are located in universities (could lead to a graduate degree), school districts, education service centers, community colleges, and private entities. A list of approved programs available for agriculture certification is available through the Texas Education agency. Here is a link to steps for alternative certification

Here is a link to TEA educator preparatory programs for alternative certification

Nominate  Facebook  Instagram Teach Ag In Texas is a Project of:
Ag Consortium of Texas   |  Texas FFA   | VATAT
  Website designed by: Wieghat Graphics, Inc.   |  Admin Login